Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Not Being Able to Sleep is Terrible. You Have the Misery of Having Partied All Night...Without the Satisfaction


Welcome to Insomnicon 2008. Yes, that's right ladies and gentlemen, I've spent roughly the last week or so operating on 2 or 3 hours of sleep per evening. And I've also discovered that I'm not as good at the whole insomnia thing as I used to be. Another reason age sucks.

I've been prone to insomnia for years. I'm not sure why it happened or when it started, but for as long as I can remember, I've had several weeks per year that were sleep optional. Usually, they occur near the Daylight Savings Time changes, and I've always written them off to that. This time, however, it started when we returned from the Great Southwest. Now, I'm starting to think it has something to do with sunlight, and SAD. Being the difficult girl that I am, I won't take any medication for sleep, but I surely will try anything else. That being said, I've ordered a light box and I'm hoping that 10 or 15 minutes a day will correct the problem.

I used to be productive during these episodes. If you were a crazy peeper, it wouldn't be surprising to see every light on in my house and me cleaning like a madwoman. Now, not so much. Now, I go from flat surface to flat surface, clicking through television channels, sighing deeply and rolling my eyes each time. I seem to be preoccupied with the idea that I'm not sleeping rather than trying to see the extra waking hours as bonus time that I can use. This only seems to raise the frustration factor and make me crazier than I already am.

The other downside, the stupid factor the next day. By morning, I'm an absolute idiot. Can't accomplish anything, can't concentrate, can't even nap. Raise the frustration flag higher fellas, Nyt's about to lose her mind.

Hopefully, today will be better. I've actually had close to a full night's sleep, so maybe I'll be able to actually accomplish something as the day wears on. I have a list, I'm not sure it makes any sense, and I'm not sure I can accomplish everything on it, but my frustration level is about to boil over and I've got to try...


No comments: