Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The One About The 90 Second Rule



I have a 90 second rule. If I awake for any reason, I must be back in bed and under the covers in 90 seconds or less....otherwise.... I'm up for the day....which is why.... I'm writing this at 4 in the morning...

The Spinner thought it would be a brilliant idea to drink a bowl and a half of water right before I turned out the lights last night. That caused him to wake me at 3:30 this morning by doing the whole spinning thing.....ON MY HEAD! This in turn activated the Swooper, who then began the "whine and moan" song from inside his kennel. This in turn activated my own bladder. So being the super pet owner that I am... I went first, they went next and it all took over 90 seconds. So here I am...swilling coffee while telling the interwebz all about our bodily functions, while the two of them peacefully snooze away....

In other news, the quest for a combo-home continues. My poor realtor must think I'm nuts. Since the housing market took a poop, I've been searching for a way to combine Flipper's with the House of Nyt. The two house thing is just ridiculous. Between us, we have over 7000 sf of home, 4000 of which sits empty 6 months a year. This month alone we paid almost $1000 in heating costs, and let's not even consider the $21000 in property taxes. It's no longer making sense to have two seperate houses. Actually, for many years, this was Momma's plan for the family. Several years before she left us, she and I were investigating properties with potential.
Anyway, it's something I've been tossing around for a while. I watch the foreclosure market and my realtor and I hit stuff that looks interesting. And since I've had "the dream" I'm convinced that the "one" is right around the corner. This weekend Mr. Homes and I hit 7 properties. And then, I hit "the wall". Two of the homes had potential. Both would have needed work. One was a foreclosure..priced roughly 150k under market value, the other? 150k more and a regular owner sale... The problems? Foreclosure house has the land, but a deed restriction on fencing. Regular seller's home is sinking (at least the back half). Both homes require a similar amount of interior work (note to all those who think that venetian plaster is a great idea...take it off before you try and sell the house) but the sinking home has the perfect layout, while the foreclosure home will never have the "flow"....even with renovation. But the deal..... Gah! I've hit the wall. I guess if I'm terrified to pull the trigger, it mustn't be the time to shoot....

In the land of Declarations, the economizing portion of our program goes on. One of the things that I've decided to do is record the stuff that works and the stuff that stinks. If for no other reason than to remind myself.... see, I get distracted easily and...ooooo look......Shiny!



No comments: