Sunday, January 25, 2009

The One About Sentimentality and Pajamas


Life changes over time. It's inevitable. It's the way the universe is.


Back over the Holidaze, Flipper and I had a conversation about changes in our lives. Yes, that's right, a real conversation about feelings and everything... Anyway, we were driving past a billboard for the movie "marley and me". I remarked that there was no way that I could see that movie. When he asked why, I told him that the dog will inevitably die in the end, and that I just can't take stuff like that anymore, it turns me into a blubbering idiot. Hell, I cry at some commercials... Flipper is the same way...

This just happened in the last few years. Since Momma left us... there's something about that kind of life change that colors absolutely everything. It's funny now, because we made fun of Momma for years...Momma cried at the drop of a hat. Seriously, she cried when she was happy, sad, angry, while she was laughing.... you name it. Church would do it to her every time.. years ago, we went all through Ireland...do you have any idea how many churches and cathedrals are it Ireland??? I literally carried a Kleenex box instead of a camera...

Anyhooo... I cried today...over a pair of flannel pajamas... and it seemed stupid and ridiculous, but it came with a story...see, when I became an "adult" (I use that word loosely) Xmas presents became kind of superfluous. I mean once your kids reach a certain age, you basically just give them money to get what they want anyway.... and Momma would do that....and she would do something else as well....

She would fill a box... with "stuff"... You know, all the "stuff" you never remember to get for yourself?? Stuff like underwear, socks, bras, belts, make-up cases, new pens, journals....all those things that you think about in passing...but never seem to get around to buying for yourself. And every year there was one pair of ridiculously expensive, crazy patterned, flannel pj's. And a pair of them died today... I've literally worn right through the fabric.... and I cried.... because no one will ever make sure that I have crazy flannel pj's again...no one will ever make sure that I have all the odd "stuff" that I need... no one but me... and it makes me sad....and it makes me cry...

And it reminds me how much I miss my Mom...

(It also reminds me that waterproof mascara is ALWAYS a good investment)


Subscribe in a reader

1 comment:

Moi! said...

Sentimentality......it really is a word hey!
I love my flannels too.